Community planning: Resilient Communities
What can you do?
Make your community resilient to flooding
- Prepare your property for floods (‘property level flood protection’)
See ‘Six steps to Property Level Flood Protection’ in Resources.
- Prepare a community flood plan
- Create green space and 'Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems' (SUDS)
- Make changes to buildings - fitting solar shades, painting walls white
- Encourage ‘cool’ behaviours - opening windows, cold drinks.
See ‘Keeping healthy when it is really hot’ in Resources.
- Increase local green space - street trees, pocket parks
- Put in place systems to check and support vulnerable people during a heatwave.
- Install water efficiency devices in homes - low flow taps, water butts
- Plant drought resistant plants and trees to save water in the garden
- Encourage water saving behaviour - short shower instead of baths.
Has your community suffered from flooding, water shortages or during heat waves/hot weather?
Thanks: This resilient communities section was produced in partnership by the Environment Agency’s Climate Ready Support Service.