Community planning: Low Carbon Communities
Low carbon communities
A guide to the actions that communities in England can take to move towards sustainable Low Carbon Communities
Community engagement in Low Carbon Communities
The case for community planning for low carbon communities:
- Why? Energy consumption, carbon emissions and fuel poverty are big issues for the Big Society, Localism and Neighbourhood Plans;
- How? To create sustainable carbon neutral neighbourhoods we need zero carbon new build and eco-retrofitting;
- Who Pays? The two main new opportunities for carbon reduction investment are the Feed-in-Tariff and the Green Deal;
- Pioneering neighbourhood-based approaches demonstrate that it is possible to take collective action to reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions;
- The introduction of both Neighbourhood Plans and the Green Deal in 2012 provide a unique opportunity to establish a programme of green neighbourhood planning.
Community engagement in Low Carbon Communities: Why, how and when?