Community planning: Policy & Law: Italy
- further information
- Because of the tradition of strong independent regional government, policy and law varies from region to region.
- Some regions have legislation requiring public participation for all new development whereas in other regions there is no policy at all.
- Urban centres - generally similar to architecture centres but managed by the state - play an important role in promoting citizen involvement in planning.
Note: Many of the websites linked to from these pages are in Italian although some have sections in English.
- Article 118, Constitutional Principle about Environmental Policy. General principles on which new laws about community planning and citizens participation are based.
- National Law (Dlgs 267/2000).
Some links to website information on regionally important policy, interesting projects and urban centres. Regions listed alphabetically. Information on any regions not mentioned would be welcome.
Abruzzo Regional Policy:
Calabria Regional Policy:
- Regional Law 24 November 2006, n. 14 (Changes and integrations of the Regional Law, 16 April 2002, n. 19)
- Regional plan about actions for development and preservation of Mediterranean landscape through workshops and community participation processes.
Campania Interesting projects:
- Project which aims to support Regions in the management of public administration (South Italy) and in citizen and stakeholder involvement.
- Project about redevelopment area near Napoli with community participation process. Big green area around Napoli, main object: redevelopment suburb area and country landscape.
Emilia Romagna Regional Policy:
- Modena - Restructuring of disused factory building through community planning.
- Bologna -Inserting in a garden suburb of Bologna a mix of houses and public parks recovering the traditional country landscape.
- Urban renovation and environmental improvement of a periphery area in Bologna (ex big fruit and vegetable market).
- Website about former fruit and vegetable market in Bologna, support project for citizens about participation process in the ex market area.
- To download - pdf 3D simulations about former market project
- Laboratory for requalification countryside around Bologna and planning new area in pursuit of more sustainability.
- Park project on the edge of Bologna. Preservation of the original countryside and cultivations - pdf presentation.
- Partecipa.rete: democratic participation project realized by young people
- Resource for encourage a dialogue between citizens and public administrators to promote participatory processes.
- Resource to improve citizens knowledge about planning urban initiatives. Main mission: promote culture development of architectonic, environmental and landscape quality.
- Research laboratory of new urban geography – deepening understanding of metrolopolitan problems.
- Project’s proposal: dialogue citizens of Bologna with electronic map of their city.
Lazio Regional Policy:
- Policy for Participation Institutes and of popular initiative June 1994.
- Article 8 Statute of Rome’s municipality.
- Article 10 Statute of Rome’s municipality.
- Regional policy about young people’s participation in public administration.
Liguria Regional Policy:
- Controversial issue about widening a highway in the centre of Genova. First experience in Italy of Participatory Democracy based of Debat Public methodology.
- To download brochure of the project - as pdf.
Lombardia Interesting Projects:
- Intervention of urban redevelopment: Rozzano, Milano.
- Participatory budgeting and workshop in Pieve Emanuele near Milano.
- Neighbourhood projects in Milano. Main scope: recovery and enhancement of neighbourhoods characterized by deterioration and social distress.
Marche Regional Policy:
- Resource for a dialogue between public administration and citizens.
- A network of results and experimentations of e-democracy projects.
Piemonte Interesting Projects:
- Website about community planning and citizens involvement in South Italy
- Website about landscape planning; section about participation.
Sicilia Interesting projects:
Toscana Regional Policy:
- Municipality Florence Statute, title 8, paragraph 1, article 93-95.
- Regional website, page about regional law about participation.
- Non profit association about community planning and citizens participation. Attempt to create a network of all individual initiatives.
- Interactive map of the participatory processes in place
Alto Adige Regional Policy:
Alto Adige Regional Policy:
Strategic cities’ network:
National association of about forty Italian cities. Principle aim: advance strategic planning as an instrument to support urban development and facilitate coordinated and integrated programming that draws new institutional relationships between local and National governments. Privileged observer about Italian policies for local development and is an entity recognized in the national debate and local level, in the scientific world and the world of training.
Urban Centres website:
Observatory of Italian urban policy. Main mission: facilitate the construction of urban policies on the utilization of genuinely shared playing proactive role of subjects with various interests.
Thanks: Compiled by Graziana Bonvicini, University of Pisa while undertaking an Erasmus placement with communityplanning.net, Autumn 2009.